Seasonal Floral Muffins

Wild Food Forums Cooking Seasonal Floral Muffins

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  wildheart 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

wildheart
    Participant

Here is one of my recipes for floral muffins, using seasonally available wild flowers. For this batch, I used fresh Manzanita blossoms, but in the Spring/Summer I use Elderflowers and other edible flowers.

MUFFINS

2/3 cup sugar
    1 Handful of fresh, seasonal flowers (to taste)
    1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (perhaps sub half for acorn flour if available)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup whole milk
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    1 egg
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups or line with baking cups. Place 2/3 cup sugar and flowers in food processor; pulse 30 to 60 seconds (pulse longer for a more intense floral flavor). Optional: Sift through strainer into medium bowl to remove any large pieces of flowers. Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well-blended.

2. In small bowl, whisk together milk, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons lemon peel. (Milk will curdle and thicken slightly.) In another medium bowl, lightly beat egg; whisk in 6 tablespoons melted butter and milk mixture.

3. Make well in center of flour mixture; pour in egg mixture. Stir just until blended. Divide evenly among muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan.

4. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.