1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150g) cane sugar
8 tbls manzanita sugar
pinch of salt (1/8 tsp)
2 cups(500 ml) heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
(makes about one quart/liter)
1. Whisk together the milk, cane sugar, salt, manzanita sugar and 1 cup of the heavy cream while warming on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Warm, stirring until steam rises.
2. Pour the warmed mixture into a bowl through a mesh strainer.
3. Pour 1 cup of heavy cream into a separate medium bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
5. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking all the while, then pour the warmed egg yolks and mixture back into the saucepan.
6. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heat proof spatula scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (I take it to 85 degrees C) — avoid boiling!
7. Pour the heated mixture through the mesh strainer into the heavy cream and stir to blend.
8. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker per the manufacturers instructions.